Let's wrap up the week:
- Jan Hooks, cast member from Saturday Night Live 1986-1991 died yesterday. She was just 57! I hate to see my favorite performers pass. Huff Post ran a story about her untimely passing and provided an interesting fact: SNL passed on Jan in the 1985 line up and chose Joan Cusack instead. No offense to Joan Cusack, but Jan Hooks was a much better fit for SNL. I loved her Nancy Reagan. I'm glad several of the news media mentioned our favorite Jan Hooks character: the tour guide at the Alamo in "Pee Wee's Big Adventure." Farewell, dear Jan.
- I'm a little late in mentioning this, but former Ohio Rep. Jim Traficant passed away on September 27th after being critically injured in a tractor accident. If you don't know Jim, now is when you want to get those Google fingers flying. No one can do justice with the Traficant story in one paragraph. When I lived in Ohio, I heard Jim speak many times while he was Sheriff and also when he was with a local drug awareness program. Later he would serve Ohio's 17th Congressional District as only Jim could - he definitely had his own style. Most people remember his crazy hair and even crazier comments while he served. For a time, I thought he might have been Bert of Sesame Street turned human (again, the hair). Speaking ill of the dead is not my style, unless you're Hitler, so I'll skip the mention of his run ins with the law and the fact that my husband and I both think the mob flipped his tractor (we're not so old that we can't fabricate a conspiracy theory). Everyone had an opinion of Jim, and most think he was a little wackadoodle at times - but he was our wackadoodle. Rest in peace, Jim.
- Whole Foods CEO John Mackey announced that the store would stop carrying Chobani Yogurt, a company owned and operated by Turkish immigrant Hamdi Ulukaya - a successful entrepreneur who raised himself up by his proverbial bootstraps. Mackey stated he wanted make room for smaller producers and it didn't help Ulukaya's case that Chobani isn't organic and uses milk from cows that may or may not eat GMO feed. It was also mentioned that he wanted to carry more niche yogurts. Here's a great niche, Mr. Mackey: yogurts no one buys or how about yogurts that are ridiculously priced. In the foreseeable future, I predict those will be the "niche" yogurts carried by Whole Foods. Squeeze that middle class.
- How old do I have to be before I take the stance of "if you've seen one lunar eclipse, you've seen them all?" They keep occurring at inconvenient hours. The world doesn't want to interfere with my beauty sleep.
- Anybody got Ebola? Just checking. Is there anything we can keep out of our borders? Why aren't we quarantining people coming in to the country from those areas of Africa that are hard hit by this plague on their people? There was a time when this country routinely quarantined individuals who showed signs of disease at Ellis Island - how is this different? Is Ebola being downplayed or blown out of proportion? Comment below, I'd love to get other people's thoughts on this. Take your temperature before you post, just to protect the blogosphere.