Let's be a little newsy, shall we?
- You never know just how secret the Secret Service is until you pack up your weapons, load your pockets with 800 rounds of ammo and decide to run up to the White House and take a self-directed tour. Oh, buddy, what were you thinking? Omar G, You know that the Secret Service will tackle your hiney if you even give the President a little bit o' stink eye. BREAKING NEWS: Apparently, the Secret Service will not tackle your hiney till you run across the lawn, over the porch, knock someone down, skip through the Blue Room...take a quick jaunt across the Corridor and the Vestibule...stroll past the stairs...and reach the East Room. But if you do that, THEN the Secret Service will be on you, man, with their best off duty officer. Take that! The Secret Service doesn't put up with your trifling antics. It's the White House. Show some respect!
- Okay, I'm going to beat this dead horse a little. This same guy, Omar J. Gonzalez, did get a little attention on August 25 when he was stopped along the White House fence - and was found to have a hatchet. Granted, he was on the right side of the fence, but a hatchet? Who does that? Federal Prosecutor David Mudd said he was not arrested at that time. Why not? Because he had a clean record, I'll bet.
- Dang it, the dude didn't have a clean record - he had run-ins with the law before. That stuff is written down, right? And the officers have an office with new fangled computer machines - right? Yet, he was allowed go on his merry way.
- Oh, shazzbat, this should be a different news story bullet point, but I can't get off this White House intruder. It is reported that officers who saw Gonzalez scale the fence determined that he didn't have weapons in his hands and that his clothing couldn't conceal "substantial quantities of explosives." Really, is that the only concern - that the dude might blow up? You're protecting the President and his family and, ahem, he was found to be carrying a knife. Though I haven't been trained as a law enforcement officer, I'm pretty sure you can hurt someone with a knife - I've watched CSI, Magnum P.I., Longmire...and Dexter.
- For crying out loud, I can't drop it... I seem to recall that I had to walk through a ridiculous number of metal detectors in the Capital building, and I don't have a record, actually wore a dress and pantyhose, AND I had an appointment. Why are the Secret Service officers just "eyeballing" White House lawn runners to determine risk?
- Okay, okay - I didn't technically have an appointment at the Capital...I was running with two other lobbyists trying to catch Moynihan and Sasser to bend their ears on a healthcare bill, back in the day. That doesn't make it better!! Trust me, I look absolutely insane running in heels, my face was red as a beet and I had to go through many, many metal detectors. Come to think of it, why did they trust me? This goes back much further than I thought.
- You know what information the Secret Service was able to access quickly? The fact that Julia Pierson was going down for this fiasco. I feel bad about that, because I'm thinking she wasn't the whole problem.
Other things happened this week in the news...better bloggers than I will have to get to those items.