I'm sure I'll get all kind of grief for this post, but I have a favor to ask of my Flipster friends. It's not difficult and it doesn't hurt at all (good news so far). It doesn't cost anything (yay) and it won't take any time at all - it may save you time. You'll probably think my request is either unique or totally unacceptable.
My outlandish request is this: Help me keep nasty language off my blog.
I don't want to delete anyone's post, because I welcome them all and want to encourage you to put your two cents in even more often!
See, the thing is that I spend a lot of time with young people and therefore, they wander over to the land of the BIRDDOGGING flipgeezer. Granted, I address a lot of the world's craziness in my observations but I'm always going to try to be creative rather than vulgar (see colorful substitutions). Believe me, it's not easy some days but it helps that I try to keep that out of my day to day conversations (note I said "try"... Lord knows, it can be hard and I'm not an older version of Pollyanna; the flipchick has been 'round the proverbial block).
I'm contemplating the responses, so I'll address a few:
- You! Quit making that face! Don't you know it will stick that way?
- "Young folks have peers who may be cursing a blue streak daily." I'll be the yin to that yang.
- "This is AMERICA and I have freedom of speech." I'm asking you to tap into your freedom not to say things, as a favor.
- "Media - particularly entertainment - is just saturated with it. Young people will see horrible language in print and online anyhow." ...just not here.
- "What's the big deal?" It's such a small amount of effort on my part. I can do that. I'm hoping you're willing to help me.
- "You've reviewed some DINGO books and movies with language!!" Yes, I have reviewed books and movies that have a disappointing amount of bad language, I see and hear it everywhere. I'm not on a one-woman crusade here because I know it would be futile, I'm just talking about my one little blog-o-sphere...
- "You're not talking about my CURLY FRY blog, are you?" What someone writes on their blog is their business. It would be nice to have a co-hort in my quest, but I only ask for one favor at a time, once every fifty-five years. I hope you're around for the next one in 2070...now THAT one is going to be a doosie.
- "Delete the comments, I don't give a CORNDOG if you do!" I believe most people will help you out, if you just ask. Please? Help me keep the nasty language out, and if there is a slip, I will say "oops" and delete it. Don't have hard feelings, should that occur. It's not condemnation - just clean up.
Thank you, in advance, if you choose to join the Flipside Ecological Team: Keepin' It Clean-ish!