Attention! Fall in line. In just six days, your main squeeze, love, spouse, boyfriend, girlfriend, partner or standby date will have certain expectations of you. I'm talking about Valentine's Day, peeps, that most Hallmark of holidays. Ignore it at your peril.
A wise person sees the potential for rebound payoff by honoring your love pups' affection and loyalty with a Valentine's Day acknowledgement. If it's a girl, anything that their friends will oooooohhh and awwwwwww over will suffice. I think girls are pretty easy at Valentine's Day. Guys...a little trickier. The old adage about "the way to a man's heart" is still true. Get thee to the kitchen. It's time for a little sugar for your sugar. Don't forget to get the kiddos involved, too.
Last but not least, have a little heart and remember those who have lost loved ones. If you know someone who has been recently widowed, give them a call, too.
Here's some Valentine's Day hacks for this week:
1. Get the kids in the act with candy melt dipped pretzels. This great idea comes from the blog 5 Minutes for Mom (which is also a really great name for a Mom blog).
There's nothing easy than melting some Wilton Candy Melts, dipping in the pretzels and adding colored sugar or sprinkles. And they look really cool!!
2. Oreo Cheesecake Cookies, anyone? This recipe started on the blog Baker by Nature, but was given a twist for Valentine's Day by the genius at the blog Nest & Posies. This is a super easy recipe with only five ingredients - or six, if you add food coloring to get the festive pink color!
Do you know anyone who wouldn't love these? If you do, send me their share. I'll take care of them for you.
3. Want a healthier (ish...) choice? How about Strawberry Brownie Kebobs? Okay, it's probably no healthier...but it does have a strawberry. This idea comes from the folks at Buzzfeed (Buzzfeed is one of my favorite sites, in all their various incarnations). Prepackaged brownie bites, marshmallows and strawberries on a stick. Drizzle a bit of melted chocolate. Bam. You're the best valentine ever.
4. Okay, you're frustrated by the lack of adult valentine hacks. How about this one - definitely for adults only: Wine Gummies. I have to confess, I love this idea from Thrive for Style. Why arrive with a bottle of wine? Anyone can do that, and you don't even have to do much advance planning...
5. So, I guess that was a perfect lead in for the suggestion of a bottle of wine. But, really, there's no originality in that! On to number 6...
6. Too many sweets? Then check this out: Mozzarella Cheese Filled Hearts with Roasted Red Pepper Pesto, courtesy of the blog Hungry Happenings. Every guy I know would inhale these.
Well, there's a start for you...make those plans, peeps! You only have till Saturday, and if you mess it up, it won't be may fault.
Do you have a favorite Valentine's Day gift or activity? Can it be put into print and read by minors (Yes, Janie & Shady...and Stephen...I mean you...maybe Al Penwasser, too...)? Share it in the comments.