My prediction was correct and today deserved to be called a snow day. In fact, my desk must be ten degrees colder than the rest of the room - so I'll make this short.
Never mess with Mother Nature. Don't mock her, challenge her, shake your fists at the clouds, kick her dirt, question her wind or joke about her "snow days." We've got snow, cold, icy roads and icicles to boot. We've got boots to boot, in fact.
I've been in the house for three days and now they've called off school for the rest of the week (not that it matters to a homeschooler). Under normal circumstances, I would embrace the free time. Initially, I did just that.
I've learned a few things, however:
- There's only so many crafts you can do before you just get tired of pulling out all the stuff and putting it away. My laundrio (studio + laundry) is too chilly to work in there. I've had an exhausting round of covering the kitchen table with supplies, then putting them away for meals, then getting them out again, then putting them away again...rinse and repeat.
- Three meals a day are too many. To be precise, the three meals represent too many dishes when you are cooking full meals because everyone is home. In the three days we've been inside, I must have done ten times the normal amount of dishes. The next time anyone goes out of the neighborhood, I'm getting paper plates.
- In reality, my family may be eating six meals. Bored eating has taken hold of us. I'm just sayin'...
- The dog is pretty ticked off at everyone for messing with her schedule.
- If you want someone to brave the icy roads, just tell them you think it is too dangerous. That statement alone made the men practically bolt for the truck (allowing me to turn it into a grocery run...a girl gotta have eggs...).
- Netflix needs to update House of Cards. It would have been the perfect time to binge watch it.
- BBC, I feel the same way about Luther - give me more episodes, I'm desperate.
- I'm glad I have Amazon Prime, but their app annoys me by telling me "your movie is loading" and then enlightening me with "your movie is still loading" a minute later. You see, I wouldn't have known that without their helpful caption. I might have thought it was a really dumb movie...and what's up with the bar at the bottom of this movie?
- The bathroom is still the best place to read in my house. No one asks you to make food when you're in there. I did offer to make soup in the tub if they couldn't wait till I got out.
- Snow ice cream is every bit as wonderful as it was when I was ten years old.
- When Gonzo's friend called and asked if he could stay overnight, he practically jumped out the window. I don't blame him a bit.
No weather predictions or complaints from this moment on; I wouldn't dare.
Mother Nature, you look fabulous - is that a new outfit?? You don't look your age.
Keep warm, peeps!